Thursday, January 21, 2016

Coates

Coates
Pinckney's essay
In The New York Review
On Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me
Does not say
Whether Pinckney likes what Coates is doing
And I would like to know.
 
He makes it clear
What Coates is doing -
The tradition from which he is drawing, his antecedents
The essay is insightful, informative, thoughtfully written,
But lacking criticism or praise.
 
I've read Between the World and Me
Twice.
I have my opinion, although it's been challenged
By the opinions of others.
Other people's opinions matter to me.
Even though, as Chimes said, "Opinions are cruelty."
 
I've read Pinkney's essay
Once.
I will read it again right now.
 
Ok. I read it again, and I still don't know:
Pinckney, what do you think of Coates?
 
Maybe I don't need to know.
Maybe it shouldn't matter.
And maybe I ought to appreciate and emulate
Your reticence.
A lack of opinion can be cruel too.
But maybe less so?
1/21/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment