Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Six Lost Opportunities

                I
It would be alliterative to say
I had the leftover lo mien for lunch
But I had it for breakfast.

                II
With some editing
"I" could have been a haiku
"II" could have been too. Too bad.

               III
This morning, I thought:
On the way to work, I will look for inspiration in the subway
And had I actually looked, I might have found some.
              
               IV
We maybe could have had, at some point,
A government that truly serves its people
Instead of this.

               V
And don't even get me started
On renewable energy
I mean, come on. Am I right?

               VI
Ok, clearly, I've gone astray
It's time to let go and post
Actually, it's well past time.

December 2, 2015

2 comments:

  1. I like this poem extraordinarily well.
    It reminds me of the tongue-tied moments, prolonged
    But somehow not awkward, when you sat across a table
    From Claudia and I who wasn't then and never became
    My wife, but with whom I still peaceably share a nice dog
    And other niceties. (She was a former acquaintance of yours,
    I was merely a fan) At the now-long-defunct Austin treasure,
    Liberty Lunch, where I sneaked in to see punk and reggae bands,
    And slamdance, for a couple of years of my late teens,
    But which my father, who also grew up in Austin, remembers
    Primarily as a place where he used to like to go to eat oysters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this comment. I don't know why I never saw it before....

      Delete